, PRETORIA, South Africa, Oct 9 – The South African parole board on Friday again postponed a decision on whether to release Oscar Pistorius, saying that it would consult the family of his girlfriend whom he shot dead two years ago.
The Paralympian star’s lawyers have argued that he should have been allowed out on house arrest in August after serving one-sixth of his five-year jail sentence for killing Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day 2013.
But he remained behind bars after Justice Minister Michael Masutha made a last-minute intervention and the case was referred for review.
“The parole board is consulting with the family of the victim. It is expected that the Steenkamp family will make a submission… early next week,” the Correctional Services department said in a statement.
It added that Pistorius and his lawyer had attended Friday’s parole board hearing in Pretoria central prison.
The board will meet again to consider his case on October 15.
Steenkamp’s parents say Pistorius murdered their daughter on purpose and have previously contested any parole.
“I wish I knew what will happen, but there has been so many surprises in this case that I can’t predict anything,” Brian Webber, a lawyer representing Pistorius, told AFP on Friday before the latest delay.
“I do think correctional services have probably considered how unfairly he has been treated.
“I would be extraordinarily surprised if he wasn’t released. He should have been released on August 21.”