Senegal to stage ‘historic’ trial of Chadian former despot Habre

July 19, 2015 7:50 am


Former Chadian dictator Hissene Habre gestures as he leaves a Dakar courthouse after an identity hearing on June 3, 2015/AFP
Former Chadian dictator Hissene Habre gestures as he leaves a Dakar courthouse after an identity hearing on June 3, 2015/AFP
DAKAR, Senegal, Jul 19 – Chad’s former dictator Hissene Habre will make history on Monday when he is tried in Senegal over his regime’s brutality — the first time a despot from one African country has been called to account by another.

Once dubbed “Africa’s Pinochet”, the 72-year-old has been in custody in Senegal since his arrest in June 2013 at the home he shared with his wife and children.

Rights groups say 40,000 people were killed during his eight years in power under a regime marked by fierce repression of his opponents and the targeting of rival ethnic groups.

Habre, who held power between 1982 and 1990, is charged with crimes against humanity, war crimes and torture.

He will be tried by the Extraordinary African Chambers, a special court established by the African Union under an agreement with Senegal. The court is led by a judge from Burkina Faso.

Delayed for years by Senegal, where Habre has lived since being ousted in 1990, the hearings will set a historic precedent as until now African leaders accused of atrocities have been tried in international courts.

They come at a time when relations between AU members and the International Criminal Court (ICC) are at an all-time low, a month after Sudan’s Omar al-Bashir’s escape from an international arrest warrant in South Africa.

The AU has accused the ICC of targeting only African leaders, highlighting that major powers such as Russia, China and the United States have refused to place themselves under The Hague-based court’s jurisdiction.

“It’s one thing for African presidents or African leaders to complain about abusive African leaders being sent to The Hague. It’s another to show they can be tried in Africa,” American lawyer Reed Brody, lead investigator for Human Rights Watch in the case, told AFP.

“This is a test case, in a way, for African justice.”

– ‘Turning point for justice’ –

Habre refuses to recognise the legitimacy of the court and has decided not to cooperate with the hearings, one of his lawyers, Ibrahima Diawara, told AFP on Thursday.

“Appearing in a trial is a right, not an obligation,” Diawara said, adding that his client’s health had been improving after a heart attack in June, but that he would not appear and had instructed his lawyers not to take part.

Chadian lawyer Jacqueline Moudeina told a news conference in Dakar in June the trial would be “a turning point for justice in Africa and will sound an alarm for all the dictators whose crimes will one day catch up with them”.

Moudeina said the case for the prosecution — particularly documents demonstrating a direct link between Habre the country’s secret police, the Documentation and Security Directorate (DDS) — was “solid”.

Part 1 | Part 2

Latest Articles

Most Viewed