, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 19 – The National Police Service has now released photos of 40 terror suspects wanted over the weekend attack at a military camp in Lamu where 15 of their accomplices were killed.
They include German national Ahmed Mueller who is a key figure in the Al Qaeda-linked Al Shabaab, who is also accused of having masterminded the Mpeketoni attacks last year.
“He is one of the few Western foreign fighters in Al Shabaab who survived Ahmed Godane’s purge. There are indications that he could have been involved in the Mpeketoni attack of June 2014. He is currently on the run, probably injured after the militia attempted attack of Baure military camp in Lamu,” a statement from the Ministry of Interior says.
Another suspect is Ramadhan Kioko aka Abu Nuseiba AKA Pinji who before joining Al Shabaab was a notorious pickpocket in the streets of Nairobi that earned him the alias “Pinji”.
In 2012, police said he managed to have his 10 year old son join him in Somalia, “where the poor young boy now aged 13 years still is.”
“Ramadhan Kioko is from Majengo Nairobi and is a close associate of Ahmed Iman. Kioko is married to Hawa who is also in Somalia; making them a complete family of Al Shabaab militants, a unique and rare situation in terrorism circles,” the ministry says.
Interior Ministry Spokesman Mwenda Njoka says most of the suspects may have sustained injuries during the weekend attack.
The suspects are believed to be battle hardened as they have frequently fought at the frontline with the Al-Shabaab militia. Click here for the list
Some in this list, such as Lukman Osma Issa and Said Hemed were killed.
Issa was one of the commanders of the groups that attacked Kenyans in Mpeketoni in June 2014.
According to the report, his brother Issa Osman Issa, an Al Qaeda operative in East Africa was part of the terror group that was involved in the Kikambala Paradise Hotel bombing in 2002.
The National Police Service has called on the public to provide any information that may lead to their arrest.
During the botched attack in Lamu, the Kenya Army recovered an assortment of weapons which include grenades and guns.
The Police Service is on high alert after intelligence report indicated that the militias were planning to launch multiple terror attacks during the month of Ramadhan.
The terrorists according to the report were targeting government institutions, markets, religious institutions, schools among other areas.
Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet has since called for vigilance among all Kenyans saying the threat of terror was real.
Among measures adopted by the government include increased police presence across the country especially in areas perceived as prone like Mombasa and Northern Kenya.
In major cities, the government has also installed CCTV cameras which have the ability of identifying wanted people as part of the wider plan to use technology in the war against terror.
Kenya is this month set to host a major regional conference on countering violent extremism that will involve regional and global security players.