, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 6 – Interior Cabinet Minister Joseph Nkaissery on Wednesday warned that politicians inciting the Turkana-Pokot conflict will be arrested.
While announcing the deployment of security officers to the North Rift to contain fatal clashes over the past few days, Nkaissery said the operation will entail disarming attackers and also making arrests.
“The government has today decided to commence with immediate effect operation in the affected areas to arrest the culprits and disarm all the communities in this region,” he asserted.
He said the government was disappointed that the attacks that began on Sunday have left scores of people dead just few days after holding meetings with leaders in the area.
“In the last three days a series of attacks in Sarima in Samburu, Lomerok on the border of Samburu and Turkana, and Nadome in Turkana East have left a trail of death and destruction. Innocent men and women and even children, today lie dead at the hands of bandits that visited the unimaginable terror upon them,” he explained.
At the same time he expressed displeasure that some leaders in the area were involved in activities that incited and caused communities to attack each other.
“On 7th January, 2015, I hosted political leaders from the North Rift to discuss the issue of insecurity in their counties. Unfortunately and despite this commitment, the North Rift has remained a valley of death for innocent Kenyans, and destruction of their properties,” he said.
Nkaissery reminded the leaders in the area of the Boma Declaration which they signed to criminalise cattle rustling and other acts of violence especially the attacks and killings witnessed in the last three days.
He however, could not confirm the number of people who had been killed since the attacks began.
Earlier the Kenya Red Cross Society indicated that 54 people had been killed in fighting in the past two days, and at least 75 over the past four days.