, NAIROBI, Kenya Apr 11 – The government has announced fresh hiring of 10,000 police officers after a directive by President Uhuru Kenyatta for previous recruits to report for training was challenged in court.
The National Police Service Commission on Friday said the fresh recruitment will be conducted on April 20.
Commission chairman Johnston Kavuludi said the recruits whose intake was halted by the courts are encouraged to participate in the fresh exercise.
“I take this opportunity to urge all Kenyans who are interested and eligible to serve in our National Police Service, including those who had been recruited in 2014, to report to the requisite recruiting centres on April 20, 2015,” he said during a news conference held at the commission’s office.
“In line with the directive of His Excellency the President, the training will commence immediately after completion of the recruitment exercise.”
He directed the previous recruits not to report to various police training colleges this Sunday as earlier advised by Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinnet.
“The urgency to undertake this process was understood last week, following the tragic terrorist attack on the Garissa University College, that left 147 students, staff and security officers dead and many others wounded.”
The recent move could be seen as a gesture to avoid a clash with the Judiciary which on Tuesday communicated its displeasure over the presidential directive which conflicted with an ongoing court process.
The Judiciary through its Director of Public Affairs and Communications Naim advised President Kenyatta to await the High Court ruling on the suspended National Police Service recruitment which is due on May 8.
This is after President Kenyatta ordered 10,000 recruits whose enrolment was stopped by the courts last year to immediately report to the respective training venues at Kiganjo, GSU and AP colleges.
President Kenyatta blamed insecurity in the country on a shortage of police officers and directed that the recruits start training immediately.
But the IG who was present at the media briefing Friday evening said that he would announce fresh guidelines to ensure the recruitment is not marred with irregularities again.
“We have serious gaps in terms of personnel so the 10,000 will bridge that shortfall for this year. I will be releasing the timetable shortly and I sure everyone will be satisfied when the process is over,” he said.
The July 2014 recruitment of 10,000 police trainees was put on hold following claims of irregularities in the selection process.
The Independent Police Oversight Authority took issue with the National Police Service Commission and the National Police Service for failure to conduct fresh recruitment after the court nullified the initial exercise.