5 in court for supplying Garissa massacre guns

April 7, 2015 11:49 am
Shares
All the five are Kenyans who are charged alongside a Tanzanian Rashid Charles Mberekesho who is still being held in Garissa/AFP
All the five are Kenyans who are charged alongside a Tanzanian Rashid Charles Mberekesho who is still being held in Garissa/AFP

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 7 – Five terror suspects have been arraigned in court over the Garissa attack that left 148 people, mainly students dead.

The five Mohammed Adan Surow, Osman Abdi Dakane, Mohammed Abdi Abikar and Hassan Aden Hassan and Sahal Diriye Hussein did not however plead to charges of supplying guns to the four slain attackers after the State asked for 30 more days to conclude investigations.

All the five are Kenyans who are charged alongside a Tanzanian Rashid Charles Mberekesho who is still being held in Garissa.

“Police need more time to continue holding them to be able to finalise investigations,” the State counsel said in seeking for their 30-day detention for the probe, which was granted.

The prosecutor told the court that the six suspects are being investigated following reports that they delivered guns to the slain terrorists with whom they constantly communicated during the attack. READ: 113 Garissa attack victims identified so far.

Three of their accomplices who carried out the attack were shot dead, while the fourth blew himself up after the siege at the Garissa University College that lasted more than 10 hours last Thursday.

At the end of the attack, 142 students were dead plus six security officers. Another 104 people were wounded in Kenya’s worst terror attack since the 1998 US embassy is bombing.

On Tuesday, hundreds of demonstrators took to Nairobi streets to protest the government’s failure to end terror attacks in the country.

The demonstrators included civil society activists and University of Nairobi students who demanded urgent government action and assurance in fighting terrorism.
The activists who held a demonstration in Nairobi Tuesday waved placards saying the security agencies had failed to secure the country, following reports that they ignored terror warnings targeting public universities before the Garissa attacks.

President Uhuru Kenyatta has vowed the “severest action” against terrorism never seen before in the country after Thursday’s attack.

And following his statement, the Kenyan military carried out airstrikes on key Al Shabaab bases in Gedo region, killing dozens of the militants who are opposed to the incursion in their lawless country.

Shares

Latest Articles

Most Viewed