Ruto turns heat on CORD lawmakers over Karen land claim

October 24, 2014 8:06 am


In the letter dated October 23, the Deputy President contends that the allegations were untrue and maliciou/FILE
In the letter dated October 23, the Deputy President contends that the allegations were untrue and maliciou/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 24 – Deputy President William Ruto now wants five CORD lawmakers who linked him to the 134-acre Karen land saga to retract their statement, terming it defamatory.

He also wants them to admit liability for defaming him and plans to institute legal action for the harm the allegations have caused him.

Through his lawyer Kioko Kilukumi, Ruto has written to Senators James Orengo, Elizabeth Ongoro, Boni Khalwale, Johnston Muthama and MP Junet Mohamed and stressed that the contents of the statement tarnished and maligned his standing and reputation as the Deputy President.

In the letter dated October 23, the Deputy President contends that the allegations were untrue and malicious, since he does not own any part of the disputed land and was never involved in its acquisition.

“It is further asserted that ‘Kenyans have watched helplessly as the tyranny of numbers pillaged public resources and abused power for personal gain’ under the superintendence of President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto,” the letter recounts.

Ruto termed the accusation that he was a beneficiary of yet another mega – corruption scandal as completely false.

“Our client is said to be one of the principal architects in the monumental and unprecedented land grabbing in Karen and flagrant gluttony. It is our instructions that the substance and purport of the statement was calculated and designed to be understood by members of the public that our client was a land grabber, corrupt, and an individual with an insatiable appetite for public land which drives him to abuse state power for personal gain,” the letter states.

The CORD leaders had claimed that top government officials are linked to the land tussle.

READ CORD to present evidence on Karen land to EACC

“As a result of the publication and broadcast of the contents of the statement, our client has been greatly injured in his credit, status and reputation. He has been exposed to hatred, ridicule, humiliation, agony and as a result has been injured in his career as a politician and in the performance of his duties as the Deputy President,” the letter goes on to explain.

They leaders were expected to appear before the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC) to present evidence on claims they made about the disputed Karen land earlier this week but postponed it to Wednesday next week.

The EACC initiated a probe into the saga following a request by Ngilu who called for thorough investigations on the matter and action taken against anyone found culpable.

Ngilu has on her part also challenged the Opposition to present the evidence linking the senior government officials to the controversial piece of land.

President Uhuru Kenyatta had also warned leaders against making outrageous claims and dropping people’s names in scandals without substantiating their claims.

State House had said that anyone including public officers responsible for fraud, or abetted fraud in the Karen land saga should face consequences set out by the law.

Part 1 | Part 2

Latest Articles

Most Viewed