, NAIROBI, Kenya, Sept 5 – The State has now applied to the court seeking to be given more time to investigate Lamu Governor Issa Timamy over the killings in his county.
The application was made Friday in Mombasa by State Counsel Alexander Muteti who has told the court that 141 witnesses have been questioned so far.
He says they still need more evidence before the prosecution can be prepared to proceed with the case and prefer charges against the Governor.
Justice Martin Muya will now make a ruling on the application which has been opposed by lawyer Ahmednasir Abdullahi who wants the case thrown out for lack of evidence.
The Judge will make a ruling on the matter on Wednesday next week.
Timamy was arrested in June this year in connection with the violence that rocked Mpeketoni in Lamu County that left over 60 people dead.
Muteti had in June said the Governor is being investigated for alleged murder, forcible transfer of populations and terrorism-related offences in respect to the attacks in Mpeketoni.
He told the court that the offences were serious and investigations could not be completed within a short time.
The killings in Mpeketoni started on June 15 when heavily armed men raided the small town in Lamu County where they shot men and torched a number of businesses. They also raided the local police station in the attack that lasted for more than four hours.
President Uhuru Kenyatta immediately blamed local political networks and warned that no one will be spared in the investigations regardless of their status in society.
Amani Coalition leader Musalia Mudavadi (UDF) has since criticised Timamy’s arrest terming it as political.
Timamy was elected on a United Democratic Forum ticket.