Kimaiyo directs CORD to end rally by 5pm

July 5, 2014 3:17 pm


Kimaiyo urged people to disperse peacefully after the rally/file
Kimaiyo urged people to disperse peacefully after the rally/file
NAIROBI, Kenya Jul 5 – Inspector General David Kimaiyo has urged the Coalition for Reforms and Democracy to end the Monday Saba Saba rally by 5 PM.

Kimaiyo urged people to disperse peacefully after the rally warning of any attempts of looting and violence during and after the rally will be dealt with accordingly.

“Any individual, whatever their status, who acts in a manner that threatens the rule of the law, will meet the full force of the law, our security is a shared obligation. I believe that since the CORD leaders have committed to a peaceful rally, they will uphold that in action and in spirit,” he said.

He also warns of any other gatherings in other parts of the country during the same day will not be tolerated.
“As people come to the venue, there will be controlled entry, all persons will be searched and screened to guarantee that they do not enter the venue with any weapons,” he said.

He urged Kenyans to continue staying in their areas of residence pointing out that chasing people from any part of the country will not be allowed to happen.

“Anybody who feels threatened as a result of certain activities of other people should report to the nearest police station, it is criminal to threaten others or direct any form of attack, verbal or otherwise to others,” he said.

He said that business in Nairobi will run as usual.

“Nobody should be coerced to abscond work, law breaking will not be tolerated, we have deployed sufficient officers to keep law and order and to protect life and property,” he stated.

Meanwhile, Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku and Nairobi County Governor Evans Kidero have also assured of elaborate security measures in the country.

This follows fears that the rally to be held at the Uhuru Park on Monday will degenerate into mass protests after CORD leader Raila Odinga warned, earlier this month, Kenyans to stay at their homes and not go to work.

Speaking during the interdenominational prayers for Kenya, Kidero sought to allay the fears by assuring Kenyans business will go on as usual in the capital city.
“Nairobi has spoken, they want peace. I want to assure Nairobi residents that nothing will happen on Monday; business will go on as usual, work will go on as usual, Nairobi will be peaceful on Monday,” he said.

Ole Lenku on his part said that the government will do everything to avert any form of chaos.
“Kenyans do not want chaos, we will have sufficient security in Nairobi and major towns in the country, I urge all Kenyans to go to work as usual,” he said.

The two leaders said the Kenyans had reaffirmed their stand that the country would, never again, return to the dark days that followed the 2007 General Election.

Part 1 | Part 2

You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed