Kimaiyo suspends 9 police officers over misconduct

May 10, 2014 7:38 am


This is just the beginning-Kimaiyo
This is just the beginning-Kimaiyo
NAIROBI, Kenya May 10 – Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo has interdicted 9 police officers accused of engaging in professional misconduct.

Those suspended include Wajir South police Chief Paul Mwangi and two other officers who are under investigation for the disappearance of 147 bags of Sugar which had been seized after illegal importation.

In Kericho, the OCS for Londiani Police station Julius Mwamrisi has been suspended alongside four other officers over the release of 2000 stones of bhang exhibits.

In a statement sent to newsrooms last night, Kimaiyo announced that he has also suspended a police constable based at Kanyariri police post who allegedly shot and wounded three people during a protest at the station.

“While on interdiction, investigation will be conducted to determine their culpability and subsequent suitability in relation to the offences they have committed. If found guilty, they will be charged in the court of law, besides being dismissed from the Service with loss of all terminal benefits,” the police chief said.

He also cautioned all officers in the force that his office will firmly deal with errant officers who violate their code of conduct or abuse power.

“This is just the beginning, and I must say that officers must be ready to be answerable to their actions particularly where such actions amount to breaking the law,” he warned.

The IG however, commended the officers who upheld their mandates to ensure that the country’s security remains a priority.

“My office acknowledges their daily act of selflessness, where they continue to work around the clock to ensure that our people are safe and secure,” he said, “I want to urge them to uphold this spirit of patriotism to duty and always live up to the expectations of our people.”

The suspensions follow similar ones announced last week, when Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku sent home 52 officials, including chief executives of two government agencies accused of failing to prevent the manufacture, distribution and consumption of toxic brew that killed more than 80 people.

“The government will not tolerate laxity in any way,” Lenku said, warning “everyone must be prepared to take responsibility in their work.”


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed