, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 28 – President Uhuru Kenyatta has appointed 26 new state corporation chairpersons in a move that has seen many former Members of Parliament (MP) get a new lease of life.
Most notable however on the list of appointments gazetted on Friday is the appointment of the former Head of the Civil Service Francis Muthaura as the Lappset Corridor Development Authority Chairman.
“Uhuru Kenyatta, President and Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces of the Republic of Kenya appoints Amb. Francis Muthaura to be the Chairman of the LAPSSET Corridor Development Authority up to February 15, 2016 with effect from January 10, 2014,” the special gazette notice reads.
Former Police Commissioner Hussein Ali however lost out on the appointments as Taraiya Ole Kores will be replacing him come January 10 as the Chairperson of the Kenya Meat Commission.
Both Muthaura and Ali were charged alongside President Kenyatta before the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity but the cases against Muthaura and Ali collapsed as did the head of state’s most recently due to unreliable and withdrawn witness statements.
Former MPs allied to Lands Cabinet Secretary Charity Ngilu also won big with Phillip Kaloki being appointed Chairperson of the Kenya Medical Training College and Agnes Ndetei clinching an appointment as Chairperson of the National Drought Management Authority.
Linah Jebii Kilimo whose Jebii Kilimo Foundation focuses its efforts on bringing an end to Female Genital Mutilation in the North Rift was appointed to chair the newly formed Anti-Female Genital Mutilation Board.
The National Alliance (TNA) Secretary General Onyango Oloo was not left out of the appointments either and secured an appointment as Chairperson of the Lake Basin Development Authority.
A few private sector names also made the list including Mt. Kenya University founder Simon Gicharu who will chair the Geothermal Development Company and Daniel Kiongo who is a founder of Thika Greens Limited.
Below is a full list of the appointments:
1. Titus Ibui – Kenya Leather Development Council Board
2. Simon Gicharu – Geothermal Development Company
3. Kenneth Sigilai – Kenya Electricity Transmission Company (KETRACO)
4. Daniel Kiongo – Kenya Pipeline Company
5. Eliud Wamae – New Kenya Co-operative Creameries
6. Geoffrey Kingangi (COL.) – National Cereals and Produce Board
7. Taraiya Ole Kores – Kenya Meat Commission
8. Linah Jebii Kilimo – Anti-Female Genital Mutilation Board
9. Terry Ryan – Kenya National Bureau of Statistics
10. Benson Adeng – Consolidated Bank Board of Directors
11. Mohamud Mohammed Ali – National Hospital Insurance Fund Board
12. Agnes Ndetei – National Drought Management Authority
13. Phillip Kaloki – Kenya Medical Training College Board
14. Sam Kona – Kerio Valley Development Authority
15. Peter Kiilu – Water Resource Management Authority
16. Onyango Oloo – Lake Basin Development Authority
17. Julius Kones – National Water Conservation and Pipeline Corporation
18. Abdul Bahari — Tana and Athi Rivers Development Authority
19. Kitambi Digore – Kenya Maritime Authority
20. Amb. Francis Muthaura – LAPSSET Corridor Development Authority
21. Joseph Musebe – Kenya Broadcasting Corporation
22. Sammy Tangus – Postal Corporation of Kenya
23. Edwin Yinda – Kenya Information and Communications Board of Directors
24. Sam Njonde – National Sports Fund Board of Trustees
25. Samwel Nyageso – Kenya National Library Service Board
26. Peter Kinya – Kenya National Trading Corporation