, NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 20 – President Uhuru Kenyatta says that he is not shaken by the International Criminal Court (ICC) charges he’s facing with his deputy William Ruto.
Speaking during this year’s Mashujaa Day celebrations on Sunday, President Kenyatta exuded confidence that the truth will eventually emerge and the two of them will be vindicated.
He pointed out that even while the trial is ongoing, he will continue delivering services to Kenyans and urged all leaders not to be side tracked.
“There are various people who are disturbing us with their issues but we are standing strong. I want to assure you that this is an issue which will disappear. That devil will be defeated and Kenya shall move forward. So fellow Kenyans, I urge you to let us join hands and develop our nation,” he said.
President Kenyatta is expected at the ICC in three weeks time to face charges of crimes against humanity.
He is charged with murder, rape and forceful displacement of populations in Naivasha and Nakuru areas after the 2007 presidential elections.
Kenyatta has mounted an intensive campaign to stop his appearance at the court when he is in office serving as President.
Last week, the ICC exempted President Kenyatta from continuous presence in the court during his trial.
In the ruling, the judges asked him to be present at the opening and closing sessions and also anytime victims will be testifying.
The new twist followed a resolution by African Union leaders stopping the court or any tribunal from indicting a sitting president or a person acting in that capacity.
The AU also asked the UN Security Council to defer the cases before November 12, the day Kenyatta is expected to appear in court, failure to which it will convene another extra-ordinary summit to chart the way forward.