Freed Kenyans meet kin, no ransom was paid

August 1, 2013 6:37 am
Mule told the media that he was elated to be free/CFM
Mule told the media that he was elated to be free/CFM

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 1 – Two government officials released by Al Shabaab militants from Somalia earlier this week have now been reunited with their families.

The families met the two men on Thursday at the Ministry of Interior and Coordination of Government at Harambee House for the first time, since their release earlier this week.
Edward Yesse Mule, who was a District Officer in Burder division, and Fredrick Irungu Wainaina a Registrar of Persons in Wajir South District – were freed after spending a year-and-a-half in captivity.

They were handed over to their families by Interior Secretary Joseph ole Lenku who assured them of the government’s commitment to ensure the two are fully counselled before they resume duty.

“We will continue to support them, including counselling them to ensure they get back to their normal life,” Lenku said. “Once all that is done, we will post them to work at a station of their choice.”

The two were captured from Wajir during a raid by Al Shabaab militants that left six people dead – including Administration Police officers on January 11, 2012.

Lenku has denied reports that ransom was paid to secure the release of the two Kenyans. “I can assure you it was just negotiations. There was no ransom paid.”

Mule told the media that he was elated to be free. “It has been a long wait. I thank the elders who helped secure our release and I am so happy to see my family.”


Latest Articles

Most Viewed