Chinese lantern sparks huge fire at British recycling plant

Firefighters at the scene of a huge fire at a recycling plant in Smethwick near Birmingham on July 1, 2013/AFP

Firefighters at the scene of a huge fire at a recycling plant in Smethwick near Birmingham on July 1, 2013/AFP

SMETHWICK, July 1 – More than 200 fire fighters were on Monday battling a major blaze at a recycling plant in Britain after a falling Chinese lantern set 100,000 tonnes of paper and plastic alight.

Ten fire fighters suffered minor injuries as they fought to put out the flames at the plant in Smethwick, just outside Britain’s second city Birmingham in central England, the local fire department said.

The fire sent a massive plume of smoke rising 1,800 metres (6,000 feet) into the sky which could be seen for miles around.

“Two officers have been hospitalised and eight have been treated at the scene,” a spokeswoman for the fire service told AFP.

The service added in a message on its Twitter page: “Major fire at Smethwick caused by a Chinese lantern make sure you use them safely.”

Emergency services were called to the fire at the J & A Young plant, which is on an industrial estate, at around 11:00 pm (2200 GMT) on Sunday night.

Paper sky lanterns are increasingly popular at British celebrations, but there are growing concerns about their potential to cause fires.

The lanterns which are essentially small hot air balloons have been banned in countries including Australia and the US states of Hawaii and Illinois.

Manufacturers say they should never be used near dry crops or within five miles of an airport.

AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE

Agence France-Presse is a global news agency delivering fast, in-depth coverage of the events shaping our world from wars and conflicts to politics, sports, entertainment and the latest breakthroughs in health, science and technology.