, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 29 – Four people were killed in fresh violence in Mandera on Friday night, when militiamen from the Garre clan unleashed terror on their Degodia neighbours.
Five others were seriously injured during the attack.
According to police officers from the region, the gunmen also attempted to attack a General Service Unit camp in the area but they were repulsed.
Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku says a disarmament exercise in the region is now inevitable to end the deadly clashes which have claimed over 100 people since January.
Last week Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo summoned all elected leaders from Mandera and Wajir counties to record statements at the Criminal Investigations Department CID Headquarters in Nairobi.
This follows a new spate of ethnic based clashes between the warring Degodia and Garreh communities in Mandera and Wajir that left 13 people dead and an unknown number of others injured.
Kimaiyo said he believed the attacks were being orchestrated and funded by local leaders’ intent on causing chaos.
His announcement came even as leaders from the said regions met in Nairobi and imposed a Sh10 million fine on any community that would defy the ceasefire agreement.
Led by Yussuf Hajji and Aden Duale, the leaders also criticized Kimaiyo for what they termed as his lax approach to the dire security situation.
The ongoing hostilities between the rival Garre and Degodia communities has claimed the lives of dozens in Mandera and Wajir over the past few months, prompting the government to beef up security and launch an aggressive disarmament exercise.