, NAIROBI Kenya, Apr 11 – The government has announced that 36 people have died so far following raging floods in various parts of the country which have also caused destruction of property and infrastructure.
Special Programmes Permanent Secretary Andrew Mondoh said more than 2,000 people have been displaced since the rains started three weeks ago.
Mondoh told journalists on Thursday that all ministries have been directed to come up with both short and long term measures to address flood-related challenges but pointed out the rain had both negative and positive implications.
“The ongoing rains have impacted on various sectors differently. On a positive note, water sources have recharged, pasture has regenerated and farmers have taken advantage of the rains to plant.
“The rains have also impacted negatively leading to loss of lives, destruction of properties and infrastructure,” said the PS.
He revealed that the current rains had damaged roads in most of the counties apart from Nyeri. “The damage is estimated up to Sh350 million.”
Mondoh also said that the government has spent more than Sh100 million to purchase food and other items for the displaced families and some Sh350 million has been set aside to repair roads damaged by the floods, including a bridge damaged in Naivasha.
“The government is currently distributing food and non-food items in flood prone areas of Narok, Garissa, Marsabit, Tana River, Marakwet, Kisumu and Homa Bay,” the Permanent Secretary said.
Speaking during the briefing, Information Permanent Secretary Bitange Ndemo said that the government was keen to avoid a recurrence of the destruction.
“There is a big difference. Our new governments have given priority to these issues and I can assure you they will be dealt with thoroughly. The president in his second day of work assembled all of us and gave us directions to ensure we deal with it properly. ”
“It will never be the same again,” he added.
Ndemo also said; “the government has always been prepared for emergencies and has regularly sounded alert with the last being 22nd March 2013.”
President Uhuru Kenyatta summoned a number of senior government officials to State House on Wednesday for a briefing on the flood situation.
He expressed satisfaction with the interventions that various government ministries and departments have undertaken to address the flooding situation.
He regretted the death of the 36 people and the displacement of households during the rainy season.