NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 6 – Security guard Rebecca Kerubo now wants suspended Deputy Chief Justice Nancy Baraza prosecuted for assault and threatening her with a gun.
Kerubo’s lawyer Irungu Keng’ata, urged the Director of Public Prosecutions to open criminal charges against Baraza for physical assault and issuing threats, after a Tribunal that investigated her conduct found that all accusations against the DCJ were valid.
“We call upon the DPP to act on the criminal complaint that was lodged against Nancy which is pending on his desk,” he requested.
DPP Keriako Tobiko hours later issued a statement saying he would peruse the file and make a decision.
“The DPP has written to the Tribunal on DCJ following its decision announced today (Monday) requesting for a copy of its report and proceedings. DPP will review all material along with the evidence submitted by the police and make decision,” a brief statement from his office indicated.
Tobiko said he will review all material along with the evidence submitted by the police and make a decision.
Keng’ata said his client will advise him if he should push for compensation from Baraza, but said they were more interested in justice for Kerubo and not money.
The tribunal said Baraza’s testimony had discrepancies while Kerubo was consistent and believed that Baraza threatened to shoot her and also pinched her nose during the incident at the Village Market last December.
Baraza was appointed last year.
The Constitution gives her 10 days in which she can challenge the decision of the Tribunal. If not, the President who received the report from the Tribunal will have to dismiss her from office as recommended by the Tribunal.
Kerubo who says she is happy with the outcome of the investigation has in the meantime asked for more security.
“I am asking for security if it is possible and I will be very thankful,” she said.
“I thank God. He saw me through this, and secondly I thank the government. The truth has finally come out. Justice has been done,” she said.