Miguna fires salvo from Canada

July 18, 2012 1:10 pm

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 18 – Prime Minister Raila Odinga’s former advisor Miguna Miguna has dismissed reports that he fled the country on Monday, two days after he launched a sensational book and claimed that he has evidence that connects senior officials of the ODM party to the 2008 post-election violence.

In a statement from Toronto, Canada, Miguna insisted that he and his family were in Canada to enjoy a much-deserved and pre-planned summer holiday for which flights had already been booked.

He said that there was no reason for him to flee and that he was ready to face lawsuits emanating from his book titled ‘Peeling Back the Mask’ which was released on Saturday.

“My family and I booked our flights on May 24, 2012. I am not sure why some people are implying that I should have sought and obtained their permission before traveling abroad. No one has a right to my family privacy,” said the statement.

“Some desperate political goons for hire have even claimed that I have ‘fled from justice.’ There have been suggestions that I have fled because of law suits and potential arrest. By the time I left Kenya, I had not been served with any legal notices or law suits. In any event, neither could have prevented me from traveling,” asserted Miguna.

Miguna challenged the Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko to offer him protection if he regarded him as a potential witness in matters of the 2008 post election violence.

“Keriako Tobiko has no mandate over the International Criminal Court. Instead of issuing threats to me – someone he considers a potential witness the Witness Protection Act compels him to provide me with protection. Threatening me over the media is a clear breach. Consequently, I will treat his politically motivated statement with the contempt it deserves,” charged Miguna.

Tobiko had on Monday directed the Police Commissioner to open an investigation into allegations made by Miguna over the 2008 post-election violence.

Tobiko further indicated that Miguna could face charges if it was established that he withheld crucial information about those behind the deadly violence.

The former advisor has caused uproar on the revelations that he is privy to information that could show how some top ODM officials were aware of the events of the 2008 post-election violence that left 1,300 people dead and 350,000 displaced.

Miguna says that he scheduled to jet back on or about July 18 when he will issue a comprehensive statement on some of the issues that have been raised over his book and attendant political issues.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed