Death toll from Saturday blasts reaches 7

March 13, 2012 9:02 am


A victim of Saturday's grenade attacks is attended to in hospital/FILE
NAIROBI, Kenya Mar 13 – The death toll from Saturday’s grenade attacks at the Machakos bus terminus in Nairobi rose to seven after one more person succumbed to injuries on Monday night.

The Kenya Red Cross and officials at the Kenyatta National Hospital confirmed that one more person had died, while 48 others were still admitted there.

“One more person died last night, the death toll is now seven,” a hospital official said. “The death toll is now seven.”

“Sixteen victims have been discharged, but we have four who are still missing,” the Kenya Red Cross said.

Hospital officials told Capital News that those admitted had suffered varied injuries, but assured that many of them were out of danger.

The attack at the city’s largest and most congested bus terminus occurred on Saturday night when unknown assailants hurled hand grenades at crowds waiting to board busses, killing three people on the spot. The four others died in hospital.

Police said on Tuesday that they were also investigating reports that there may have been gun shots fired at the crowd at the time of the attack.

It however remained unclear if the shots were fired by the same assailants who were seen driving in a station wagon vehicle.

On Sunday, police arrested a man whose photograph they had circulated last December on suspicion of having terrorism links as a prime suspect in Saturday’s blast.

Sylvester Opiyo aka Musa Osodo who had been on the terror watch list was picked up alongside three minors who were detained for more than 24 hours but set free on bond on Monday night.

Their lawyer Chacha Mwita told Capital News the suspects were ordered to report back to the Anti Terrorism Police Unit on Tuesday morning for further interrogation.

Police had not indicated if they were likely to press charges against the four suspects, some of whom their lawyer protested as ‘too young’.

“Apart from Opiyo, the other suspects are minors aged between 13 and 16. In fact, one of them is a secondary school student who is in Form One,” Mwita told Capital News.

He said he had not been allowed to see his clients during the entire period of incarceration, but was hoping to join them at the Anti Terrorism Police Unit headquarters later on Tuesday.

“They are already at the ATPU, I will be joining them later,” the lawyer said.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed