Blast suspects remain under probe for now

March 13, 2012 4:10 pm


Sylvester Opiyo aka Musa Osodo and the three minors were interrogated from 9.30am up to 4pm on Tuesday/FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 13 – A man and three minors who were released on Monday amid the ongoing probe into Saturday’s grenade attacks in downtown Nairobi have been questioned further by the Anti Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU), but ordered to report back again on Friday.

Sylvester Opiyo aka Musa Osodo and the three minors were interrogated from 9.30am up to 4pm on Tuesday over the blasts that killed seven people and wounded more than 60 others.

“The four have been released and they will be going back to the ATPU on Friday,” their lawyer Chacha Mwita said.

He said they were escorted by a police vehicle and abandoned on Landhies road after the interrogations.

Opiyo has been on the police watch list since December last year when his photograph and that of another man were circulated as “wanted criminals”.

Opiyo and the three minors aged between 13 and 16 were arrested on Sunday as they assisted his sister move into a house in Nairobi’s Umoja estate.

It still remains unclear if police intend to arraign any of the suspects in court over the grenade attacks, but police sources said there was no evidence linking them to the blast.

The suspects were arrested on Sunday and detained until Monday when they were set free and ordered to report to the ATPU on Tuesday morning.

When the suspects turned up at the anti-terror unit on Tuesday, detectives were mainly interested in questioning them further to gauge the consistency of the statements they recorded since the time they were arrested.

Police wanted to ascertain if the suspects had any knowledge of the grenade attacks or if they were accomplices.

Meanwhile, two more victims of the Saturday grenade attack at the Machakos Bus terminus succumbed to injuries at the Kenyatta National Hospital, raising the death toll to nine.

Kenya Red Cross Spokesman Fred Gori told Capital News that there are 40 people still admitted to the Kenyatta National Hospital.

The attack occurred on Saturday night when four hand grenades were hurled at crowds at the congested bus terminus at night.

Police said on Tuesday they were also investigating reports that there may have been gun shots fired at the crowd at the time of the attack.

It however, remained unclear if the gun shots were fired by the same assailants who were in the station wagon.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed