Cohesion commission condemns attack on presidential hopeful

November 5, 2011 3:32 pm
Kibunjia addressing the media /FILE

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 5- National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) has criticised Saturday’s attack on presidential hopeful Raphael Tuju who was on a campaign tour in Kisumu, describing it as the “apex in the country’s pyramid of intolerance”.

Kibunjia said his commission is working in a tripartite arrangement with the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) and the Director of the Public Prosecutions (DPP) to spearhead investigations into the Kisumu incident and to ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted.

Kibunjia has called upon the leaders to promote tolerance, peaceful coexistence, diversity and divergent opinions ahead of the 2012 general elections. He said that every Kenyan was free to express his sentiments without fear in accordance with Article 33 of the constitution.

“We will not allow actions that curtail fundamental freedoms of expression, association and assembly enshrined in the constitution and we will work with law enforcement officers to nip permeating political intolerance in the bud; we cannot enter an election year while condoning this kind of behaviour,” he added.

He said that it is the civic duty of every Kenyan to help combat intolerance, negative stereotyping and incitement to violence against persons or groups ahead of the general elections.

“We must move from ‘Haki Yetu to Jukumu Langu’. As a country, we must go beyond mere rhetoric and reaffirm our commitment to fundamental freedoms,” he said.

Presidential aspirant Mutava Musyimi also hit out at the attackers and asked Kenyans not to allow politicians to use them.

“It is sad but time has come that there must be paradigm shift on the way they are misused and controlled by politicians,” said Musyimi who said that Kenyans must not forget the post election violence in 2008.

Tuju who intends to contest the post of presidency was attacked and his motorcade pelted with stones at Kondele in Kisumu when he was on a meet the people tour.

Six people in his convoy were also injured in the attack.

Earlier on Saturday, a non governmental organisation also condemned the attack meted out on the former Foreign Affairs minister and called for thorough investigations into the matter.

Hope Alive Kenya Initiative through its Executive Director Paul Ogara said those who participated in the attack should be brought to book.

Ogara said that these early warnings of violence should not be taken for granted but should be firmly dealt with to create a conducive environment for politicians.

Ogara who spoke in Kisumu said that there was need for Kenyans to be flexible and welcoming to every politician who is out seeking to market his polices.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed