Four charged over Zanzibar boat tragedy

September 17, 2011 9:34 am
A victim of the tragedy is ferried to hospital/FILE

, ARUSHA, Sep 17 – Four Tanzanians have been charged with negligence over last week’s boat accident off the country’s Zanzibar archipelago that killed 203 people, a prosecutor said on Saturday.

Boat captain Said Adallah Kinyanyite, his assistant Abdallah Mohamed Ali, one of the boat owners Yusuf Suleiman and Silima Nyange Silima, a Zanzibar port official were charged on Friday.

“I confirm that the four suspects have been brought to court and charged,” said Ramadhan Nassib, Zanzibar prosecutor, adding that they four were charged with “causing death by negligence.”

The suspects will reappear in court on Monday.

The MV Spice Islander capsized early Saturday, but rescuers saved 619 passengers of the more than 800 on the severely overloaded boat which was headed to Pemba from Unguja, Zanzibar’s main island.

Residents have also accused authorities of negligence.

A group of South African divers have been unable to reach the boat wreckage in bid to recover more bodies believed to be still trapped.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed