MultiChoice enriches famine kitty with Sh2m

August 9, 2011 3:56 pm

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 9 – MultiChoice Kenya has announced a Sh2 million donation to the Kenyans4Kenya initiative which has received overwhelming support from the public, the corporate sector and Members of Parliament.

General Manager of MultiChoice Kenya Stephen Isaboke who announced the donation at a luncheon to honour Kenyan winners of this year’s CNN awards announced that the organisation had been touched by the suffering of millions of Kenyans facing starvation in Northern Kenya.

“Last Friday Kenyans came out to actually support those who are afflicted with hunger particularly in the northern frontier and as a company we join the rest of the people of goodwill with Sh2 million,” he said.

Information minister Samuel Poghisio who was the chief guest at the luncheon said that the government was impressed with the initiative spearheaded by the media and the corporate sector in raising funds to feed more than three million people facing hunger in Northern Kenya.

The Kenyans4Kenya initiative has so far received more than Sh183 million which includes donations from corporate organisations, Members of Parliament and individual Kenyans sympathetic with the humanitarian crisis facing compatriots worst hit areas of Turkana and other parts of North Eastern Province.

“To the media and the private sector, thank you for thinking g about Kenya, for going without food for yourselves to raise over half a billion shillings to support the emergency response to the drought situation,” he said.

Mr Poghisio while congratulating the Kenyan winners also urged journalists to tackle a wider scope of topics in their works as well as maintain high standards in their profession.

Mr Poghisio also challenged African journalists to play their role in so far as their role in showing the face of the African continent to the rest of the world was concerned.

“The increasing of Kenyans who are nominated and those who win is very encouraging, it just shows how far the media has grown but there is still room for improvement, he said.

“I will continue to work with the media to ensure that we continue to uphold the African story in a way that is written by the African journalist from an Africans view and good editorial practice,” he added.

Fatuma Noor from Kenya was awarded the top prize at this year’s CNN MultiChoice African Journalist 2011 Awards Ceremony.

Ms Noor, who works for The Star Newspaper, won for her investigative three-part series on the Al-Shabaab, which was chosen from among 1,407 entries from 42 nations across the African continent.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed