More help heads to starving Kenyans

August 6, 2011 1:10 pm

, NAIROBI, Kenya Aug 6- Eight trucks containing 150 Tonnes of specialised nutritional food were on Saturday flagged off to feed people that are worst hit by the prevailing famine in North Eastern Kenya.

The consignment which is the second under the Kenyan4Kenya initiative that was flagged off from Uhuru Park will head to the counties of Garissa Wajir and Mandera.

The Kenya Red Cross Society Secretary General Abbas Gullet said that nutritional and fortified food items are meant to act as supplement for children and elderly people.

“This food cannot feed the 3 million people who are facing starvation but will go especially for school children so that they remain in school, malnourished children, pregnant and lactating mothers, elderly men and women who are very malnourished,” he said.
Mr Gullet however said that the normal government relief supplies would continue in all the affected areas.

Saturday’s flag off was conducted by children led by Rose Nasimiyu Wegesa, a nine-year old girl battling with cancer who donated Sh20,000 to the cause.

Ms Nasimiyu thanked Kenyans for overwhelmingly contributing towards alleviation hunger for fellow citizens.

“It is indeed a blessing for us to come together as one country, it shows that we can rise above our differences, thank you for putting a smile on the faces of children of Turkana,” she said

“The women and children of Turkana, Garissa, Mandera and Wajir should not worry because help is on the way,” she added.

Kenya Commercial Bank, CEO Martin Oduor-Otieno praised Kenyans for having met the initial target of Sh500 million and said that more can be done over the remaining period.

“What Kenyans have done is exemplary giving not only hope to the people of Turkana but also dignity,” he said.

“Let Friday not be the end, I am sure we can do a little more in the coming days even doubling the initial half a billion,” he said.

On Friday the Kenyans4Kenya initiative managed to collect more than Sh 490 million following a fundraiser held at a local hotel as well as contribution through money transfers.

Last week the first consignment under the ‘Kenyans4Kenya hunger initiative left for Turkana and will benefit about 21,000 families for the next six months.

“What is being flagged off is from the collection (made) on the first day of Sh23 million. We are spending about Sh18.4 million on this first lot of unimix which is going to Turkana North which is worst off (after which) we will go to Turkana Central and then Turkana,” said Abbas Gullet while flagging off the first food consignment to Northern Kenya.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed