Guinea president’s home hit by rocket fire

July 19, 2011 8:41 am

, CONAKRY, Jul 19 – The residence of Guinea’s recently installed president was hit by rocket fire as sustained heavy weapons’ fire rocked the capital Conakry overnight, officials told AFP on Tuesday.

An official in the president’s office told AFP that President Alpha Conde was unhurt. “He is safe and sound,” said the official, Francois Fall

Witnesses earlier told AFP that heavy gunfire had erupted around Conde’s residence in the city’s Kipe district at around 3:00 am, lasting for more than two hours.

“Alpha Conde’s house was hit by a rocket,” state radio RTG said.

Police had closed access to the administrative Kaloum area in Conakry’s centre early Tuesday.

The tension in the coup-wracked country comes seven months after Conde took office after defeating rival Cellou Dalein Diallo in the country’s first democratic election since independence from France in 1958.

Guinea has a long history of coups and attempted coups, the last coming in December 2008 when a young army officer, Captain Moussa Dadis Camara, seized power. He was overthrown a year later after being shot in the head by a close aide.

A transition government led by General Sekouba Konate led the country to its first democratic elections in November last year.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed