Sang: ICC should fly, feed and house me

March 16, 2011 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 16 – Radio Presenter Joshua arap Sang who is among six suspects facing indictment by the International Criminal Court says he cannot afford an air ticket to travel to the Netherlands, and wants the court to meet his expenses.

Mr Sang who was on Wednesday served with summons to appear in The Hague on April 7 told Capital News that he had already written to the court asking for help in meeting expenses for a ticket, accommodation and meals for himself and two of his lawyers.

"I cannot afford the amount of money required to travel to The Hague. I am told a return ticket is about Sh120,000 per person… that is a lot of money for me at the moment," he said in an interview at the Kass FM offices.

"I just paid my school fees at the university because I have examinations in April. It is not possible for me to raise air ticket and accommodation (monies) that is why I am asking the ICC to help me," he said and disclosed that he had already written to the international court asking for the financial assistance.

Mr Sang is a student at the Moi University, Nairobi campus where he is undertaking part time studies.

"I have written to the ICC about the travel arrangement request and I am waiting to hear from them.  I hope to get assistance but in the event they do not help with the air ticket and accommodation for myself and my lawyers, I will resort to asking well-wishers to assist me," he said.

Summons sent from the International Court were delivered to the Kass FM radio presenter by Senior Deputy Commissioner of Police King\’ori Mwangi under instructions from the Police Commissioner.

"I have received the summons.  I have been reading on the Internet that the summonses are out but now I have received them officially," he added.

In an interview with Capital News on Wednesday afternoon, Mr Sang maintained that he was innocent and was prepared to defend himself at The Hague.

"The chance to travel to The Hague is very important to me because it presents me with an opportunity to give my side of the story. I don\’t want to miss this crucial opportunity," he declared.

Mr Sang is accused of responsibility in the 2008 post election violence alongside suspended Higher Education Minister William Ruto and Tinderet Member of Parliament Henry Kosgey who also served as the Industrialisation Minister.

Others summoned to The Hague are Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta, Head of the Civil Service Francis Muthaura and former Police Commissioner Hussein Ali.

Capital News established that all the six suspects had formally been served with summonses from The Hague.

Follow the author at


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed