Kalonzo: UN council has not rejected deferral bid

March 19, 2011 12:00 am

, MWINGI, Kenya, March 19 – Vice President Kalonzo Musyoka on Saturday denied reports that the United Nations Security Council had rejected the government request for a deferral of the ICC case facing six Kenyans.

Mr Musyoka said that Kenya has not yet had a formal deliberation with the UNSC but had only sought for an informal meeting which will not provide a final verdict until a formal meeting is held.

He, however, added that Kenya had a broad based approach to the ICC matter where besides the request to the UN, the Attorney General can invoke article 19 of the Rome statute.

Mr Musyoka maintained that the Government is committed to eradicating impunity in the Kenyan society and ensures justice for all its citizens alongside national healing and reconciliation.

Mr Musyoka said that every Kenyan is entitled to basic human rights irrespective of individual status in the society.

"The ghost of impunity has to be slain so that Kenya can reclaim her rightful place as a respected nation," he added.

On ICC, the Vice President reiterated that Kenya is not in the class of failed states and has the capacity to deal with cases concerning the post election mayhem.

Mr Musyoka asked the Kenyan media to be patriotic and report fairly on matters of ICC and post election suspects.

He however defended his recent quest for deferral of the Kenyan case at the ICC, saying it was not intended to shield the suspects from prosecution, but was aimed at securing adequate time to establish a local mechanism to have all suspects tried locally and ensure justice for both perpetrators and victims of post election chaos.

The Vice President spoke at St. Joseph Seminary in Mwingi town during a fund raiser towards reconstruction of the institution that was burnt down late last year.



Latest Articles

Most Viewed