, NAIROBI, Kenya, Dec 15 – International Criminal Court (ICC) suspect William Ruto has said he is ready to face the court to defend himself.
Addressing the media at Parliament Buildings on Wednesday afternoon, Mr Ruto said he is innocent and had nothing to do with the post election violence of 2008.
Click below to listen to Ruto
“I am available when I am required to do so. My conscience is very clear. I am absolutely certain that I neither participated, organised, financed nor had anything to do with the post election violence. It is just a question of time and the truth will come out and we will definitely shame the devil,” he said.
The Eldoret North MP further said he wasn’t surprised when Mr Ocampo named him as one of the six suspects: “All along I had known that there was a deliberate scheme hatched and executed by fellows who are not interested in justice but interested in other considerations.”
Mr Ocampo singled out the suspended Higher Education Minister and Henry Kosgey of the Industrialisation Ministry as planners of an ODM criminal plan to attack those identified as supporters of the Party of National Unity (PNU).
“Their two goals were: (1) gain power in the Rift Valley Province, and in Kenya Central Government, (2) punish and expel from the Rift Valley those perceived to support PNU,” Mr Ocampo said in his submission to the pre-trial chamber which he later read out at a news conference.
The Eldoret North MP has been the most vocal of the six suspects following the ICC’s intention to investigate Kenya following the post election violence.
He has already visited the Hague-based court and accused the prosecutor of using evidence from unreliable sources in Kenya.
Mr Ruto has also claimed that witnesses had been bribed to implicate him to damage his political career.