Row over where to bury US murder victims

November 3, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 3 – The family of a man who killed his wife and two children in the United States last month is embroiled in a bitter row with their in-laws over where they will be buried.

Reports from the US indicate that relatives of Bilha Kwamboka want her remains and that of the two children interred in America, while Justus Kebabe’s family here in Kenya wants them brought back home for burial.

Mr Kebabe was arrested two weeks ago for the murder his wife and their two children Ivyn Ogendi, 9 and Kinley Ogendi 12.

He has since pleaded guilty to the charges in US court, and is due to be sentenced on January 14, 2011.  He could face up to 76 years in prison and the earliest he can placed on parole is after 50 years.

On Wednesday, a relative of Mr Kebabe Joseph Lister Nyaringo who lives in New Jersey told Capital News that there is a standoff playing out over the matter.

“The man\’s side want the burial to be done in Kenya while the late wife\’s side want it done in the US,” he wrote in an email to Capital News.

“The bodies were to be released to the victims’ brother for burial in the US but an injunction lodged by the other side stopped it. The determination will be on the 30th of November,” he added.

Mr Kebabe’s family in Kenya had told Capital News on Sunday that they were still waiting for the bodies of their kin for burial in Kisii.

Mogire Magara, the family\’s spokesman, said that they were waiting for those in the US to make arrangements to transport the three bodies back home.

The woman and her two children were found murdered in their apartment in Vadnais Heights Minneapolis two weeks ago.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed