Indonesian flood toll rises to 29

October 5, 2010 12:00 am

, JAKARTA, Oct 5 – The death toll from flash floods that smashed through a remote area of eastern Indonesia\’s West Papua province has risen to 29, with many victims still missing, an official said Tuesday.

"Twenty-nine were killed and 51 others were seriously injured, according to data from rescuers there," provincial governor Abraham Octavianus Ataruri told AFP.

"We reckon that the death toll will rise as many are still missing," he added, without specifying the figure.

Other officials estimated the death toll would be in the dozens.

The floods were unleashed early on Monday after torrential downpours that began late Sunday in West Papua\’s Teluk Wondama district.

Officials said that communication lines had been cut off and roads to the affected areas were blocked by fallen trees.

"The government is sending relief supplies such as food and medicines there. We\’re also trying to fly the injured out of the affected area," local official Filas Kapissa said.

Thousands of buildings including houses, schools and offices were badly damaged and bridges had collapsed, officials said on Monday.

Floods and landslides are common in Indonesia, which is prone to frequent heavy rain.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed