Onyancha denies Kenya murder charges

July 19, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 19 – The man who had confessed to killing 19 women and children has now denied three murder charges preferred against him by the police.

Phillip Onyancha who entered a plea on Monday before Justice Jessie Lessit, said he did not commit the offenses.

Mr Onayncha and his co-accused Tobias Nyabuhanga Aradi and Douglas Obiero Makori denied that on April 14 this year at Ngando village in Dagoretti, Nairobi they murdered 14-year-old Anthony Njirwa Muiruri.

He also denied killing Jacqueline Chepngetich Misoi May 30 2008, at Mount Kenya building along Kombo Munyiri road in Nairobi,Mr Onyancha who had earlier told the police and media that he committed the murders, also denied the murder of Catherine Chelagat on November 22, 2008.

He entered a plea saying he understood very well what the particulars of the charges meant.

The suspect took a plea after a psychiatrist examination report produced in court showed that he is capable of taking the plea, following court proceedings and instructing his counsel.

In their report, Chief Psychiatric and the Director of Mental Health services David M. Kiima assisted by Psychiatrists Donald A. Kokonya and James Mburu concludes that although the accused had a traumatic past, he has good and past memory.

They also noted that he has good judgment and normal thought process as he showed cooperation throughout the interview.

During the interview that took place at the Mathari Mental Hospital in Nairobi, on July 9, the doctors said that he was well groomed, articulate and calm, adding that he was well oriented in time, place and person.

The report further states that the panel conducted the assessment for about three hours independently, appropriately and professionally.

The psychiatrist test was ordered after Mr Onyancha\’s lawyer Peter Simani claimed that he could be suffering mentally. He had argued that after having a counsel-client session, he got the impression that he has mental problems.

The case was listed for hearing from January 17 next year and the prosecution expects to call 11 witnesses to prove its case against Mr Onyancha and the other two men for the murder of Muiruri.

State Counsel Tom Imbali told the court that 12 other witnesses will be called to give evidence during the suspect’s trial for the murder of Chepngetich and Chelagat.

Ms Chelagat\’s case will commence on February 7 while Ms Chepngetich\’s is expected to kick off on February 22.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed