Kenyan sleuths help to hunt Uganda bombers

July 13, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 13 – Kenya said Tuesday that it had dispatched four anti terrorism detectives to Uganda’s Capital Kampala to help investigate Sunday night’s blast that killed 74 people and wounded nearly 100 others.

A senior police officer attached to the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) told Capital News that the detectives left Nairobi shortly before midday.

“They should be there by now, they left earlier in the day,” the officer speaking on condition of anonymity said.

He could not reveal the ranks or any further details of their mandate in the neighbouring country only saying “they have gone to help.”

“It should not be seen that Uganda is not capable to investigate the incident but a sign that we are together with our neighbours,” he said in relation to the recently established integration between East African nations.

On Monday, President Mwai Kibaki issued a statement and assured his counterpart Yoweri Museveni of Kenya’s support in bringing the perpetrators to book.

“I condemn this heinous and cowardly act which should only serve to strengthen our collective resolve to stamp out the evil of terrorism and promote a culture of peace and tolerance within our region,” the President said and pledged “the full support of the Government of Kenya in working together with Your Excellency’s Government to bring the perpetrators to justice.”

The Kenyan detectives dispatched to Uganda will be joining a three-man team of detectives from America’s Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) dispatched there to lead the deadly probe that has sent chilling waves in the East African nation and her borders.

US Ambassador to South Africa Donald Gips announced that President Obama had “sent a three-person FBI team to Uganda to assist authorities collect evidence.”

“The FBI will be joined by two members of the state Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security,” a statement said.

Speaking from  South Africa, Gips said the only point the Al-Shabab proved is how “out of touch they were with the path of history.”

 Amb Gips called their actions cowardly, coming in the wake of a successfully hosted World Cup. 

In Nairobi, top security chiefs were holed up in a meeting to discuss the implications of the twin bomb blasts which ripped through crowds watching a World Cup final match in two social places.

The meeting was chaired by Nairobi Provincial Commissioner James Waweru and was attended by district commissioners and divisional police chiefs.

Sources at the meeting told Capital News it was agreed that adequate security be maintained in all parts of the city, particularly at social places and crowded areas like bus parks which are common targets of terrorists.

No official statement was released to the media after the meeting.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed