, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 14 – The government has confirmed that one Kenyan died in Sunday\’s twin blasts in Kampala Uganda, while the whereabouts of another remain unknown.
Foreign Affairs Minister Moses Wetangula told Parliament that the name of the Kenyan, whose name he did not divulge, had been entered wrongly as a Sudanese national in hospital records.
"The next of kin have not been informed but he comes from Webuye district," said Mr Wetangula.
The blasts which Somalia\’s Al Shabab militia has claimed responsibility for, left 76 people dead and over 100 injured.
Mr Wetangula said a national Identity Card of a Mr Khaemba was recovered from the scene but his whereabouts were unknown. He said it was not clear if he could be one of two people whose bodies that were burnt beyond recognition and require DNA tests to ascertain their identity.
"Their heads were decapitated so it was hard to recognise them," he told attentive MPs.
Thousands of Kenyans live and work in Uganda while over 30,000 are students in the country\’s affordable secondary schools and colleges.
"I urge Kenyans whose relatives are in Uganda to try and reach them and if they cannot to seek help from my Ministry," the Foreign Affairs Minister said.
On Tuesday, Mr Wetangula had said that another Kenyan, Ms Alice Mueni was admitted to hospital with injuries sustained from the blasts.
The attacks were meant to be a warning against Uganda and Burundi for sending troops to Somalia to support the Transitional Federal Government and the peace process.
The Al Shabab has in the past threatened to attack Kenya for its continued support of the peace process, but Mr Wetangula on Tuesday sent a stern warning that the country would not be intimidated.
"This government and the people of Kenya will neither fear to act or act in fear in fighting against terrorism," the Foreign Affairs Minister told Parliament. "The Ministries of Defense and Internal Security are working very harmoniously with my ministry to secure our borders."