Kenya police offer reward over blasts

June 15, 2010 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Jun 15 – Police are now offering half a million shillings as reward to anyone with information that may lead to the arrest of organisers of Sunday’s blast at Uhuru Park, Nairobi.

Police Commissioner Mathew Iteere said no suspect had been arrested so far over the attacks which claimed the lives of six people and wounded more than 100 others.

“Any person with information regarding the incident is advised and requested to report to the nearest police or administrative office,” said the Police Commissioner.

“A reward of Sh500,000 will be given for information leading to the arrest of authors of this crime.”

The Police chief said detectives were specifically focused on “identifying the nature of the explosive devise used and we want to establish where it came from.”

He said although they had established beyond reasonable doubt that the explosion was a result of hand grenades hurled at the crowd “detectives were interested to know the source and also the persons responsible for this serious crime and the motive behind it.”

He told reporters that he had constituted a team comprising of detectives from the Bomb Disposal Forensic Experts, Anti-Terrorism Police Unit and the Criminal Intelligence Unit to probe the matter.

He urged those with any useful information to volunteer it at four reporting centers at the CID headquarters along Kiambu Road, Anti-Terrorism Police Unit (ATPU) along Hospital Road or at the CID offices at Kilimani and Central Police station.

He advised those willing to assist police with the investigation to call 0729 99 99 88 or e-mail [email protected]

Two blasts ripped through Uhuru Park at dusk on Sunday evening as a massive rally against the draft was concluding.

Some of the victims suffered severe injuries from the blasts, but others were wounded as the crowd of thousands stampeded out of the park after the second explosion.

Most of those wounded in the attack were treated and discharged from the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) but nearly forty others were still admitted there on Tuesday.

Medics at the hospital have ruled out any possibility of the death toll rising because “all the victims are in a stable condition.”

Authorities on Sunday said five people had died, but police on Monday morning said they had found a sixth body — a 51-year-old man – with shrapnel wounds in a car next to the park. He was believed to have been injured in the blast and stumbled to his car, where he died.

Paramilitary police combed through Uhuru Park on Monday for clues. They walked in a long horizontal line through the expansive field of grass where they collected evidence.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed