Guinea junta chief reccuperating

January 7, 2010 12:00 am

, CONAKRY, Jan 7 – The life of Guinea\’s junta chief, wounded in an assassination bid last month, "is not in danger" but "it will take time for him to recover completely," interim leader General Sekouba Konate said Wednesday.

Konate said in a televised speech that he had visited self-proclaimed president Moussa Dadis Camara, who remains in hospital in Morocco following surgery for a gunshot wound to the head, to wish him a prompt recovery.

"His life is not in danger but it will take time, patience and medical treatment for a while for him to recover completely," Konate said the day after his return from a week\’s stay in Morocco.

Camara was shot on December 3 by his then aide de camp, Lieutenant Aboubacar Sidiki Diakite, who is now in hiding.

Konate took charge of the west African country after Camara was shot, more than two months after soldiers killed opposition protesters at a stadium in a massacre described by UN investigators as a crime against humanity.

Human rights groups and the United Nations put the death toll at more than 150, with hundreds injured, including women who were raped by troops.

Camara came to power on December 23, 2008, within hours of the death of hardline ruler Lansana Conte, a former general who had ruled since 1984.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed