, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 29 – Mungiki founder Maina Njenga revealed on Sunday that he has been receiving Sh1 million monthly from proceeds of his sect’s activities.
It was the first time he has confessed to the benefits he has been receiving from the criminal sect whose disbandment he announced a month ago.
He said: “it took me a lot of time to make the decision of turning my members into Christianity. Looking at the Sh1 million I have been receiving as a monthly salary.”
“Therefore, when I say the sect no longer exists, I mean it. It is not a joke because already most of my former members have equally confessed and quit criminal activities. We are now Christians,” he said when he attended the Sunday Service at the Jesus Is Alive Ministries (JIAM) church on Haille Sellasie Avenue in Nairobi.
Mr Njenga did not however, state the total amount of money the sect has been generating on a monthly or annual basis.
He did not also state the source of the revenues collected by his five million-plus members.
In a previous exclusive interview with Capital News, Mr Njenga equally declined to admit that his members were involved in running extortion rings in the public transport industry, at households in informal settlements in urban areas as well as the rural areas, mainly in Central Kenya.
He claimed police were still harassing his former members despite the fact that they “have transformed into Christianity and ditched crime.”
“Recently I said my life was in danger, and I have said I will not make a report with the police because there is no need,” he added.
Mr Njenga had earlier told journalists that he had been receiving threatening text messages, which warned him against his decision to transform the sect into Christianity.
It was the first time he came out in public after three weeks of hiding following the death threats he had received.
Mungiki Spokesman Njuguna Gitau who had equally expressed fears for his life was executed on Luthuli Avenue on November 5.
Police said no suspect has been arrested over the killing.