Fire razes popular Kenyan restaurant

November 24, 2009 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 24 – Property worth millions of shillings was destroyed on Tuesday after a fire razed a section of Visa Place restaurant in Nairobi\’s Upper Hill area.

The fire is believed to have started in the kitchen following an explosion before spreading to other parts of the restaurant, according to the police.  Kilimani Divisional Police boss Francio Nyamatari confirmed there were no fatalities.

 “The fire started at around 1pm.  According to the management, they heard a loud bang from the kitchen after which the fire spread all over,” Mr Nyamatari told journalists at the scene.

“We were informed and we then called the fire brigade who responded very fast,” he said, and revealed that investigations had been launched.

“What has been burnt down are the chairs, tables and food. There is no human life involved.”

Earlier this month, property of unknown value was destroyed when a fire broke out in Nairobi\’s Herms House, along Tom Mboya Street.

The fire was believed to have started at 8am after an iron box left in a tailoring business exploded.

The two-storey building accommodates several business premises, including Union of Local Government, Communication Workers Union and Kenya Chemicals Union.

The fire was put out by the City Council of Nairobi fire fighters with help from a private security firm.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed