, KISUMU, Kenya, Jul 1 – Public Health Minister Beth Mugo announced on Wednesday that 34 foreign students, including the one who had tested positive for the H1N1 influenza virus prompting them to be quarantined in a Kisumu hotel, would travel back to the United Kingdom on Saturday.
Mrs Mugo said the students would be allowed to leave their hotel room over the weekend after six days of quarantine.
“Doctors will continue with their surveillance on the students and screening of any possible virus on pupils at a local primary school where the medical students visited,” she said.
She said that the students had been given drugs to curtail the spread of the virus. The test results for the students are expected to be released on Thursday.
Mrs Mugo who visited the foreign students at their hotel on Wednesday afternoon said that her ministry was fully prepared to fight the virus.
The Minister also visited Alendu primary school and HOVIC centre for street children in Kisumu where the students had conducted medical camps.
Addressing the press after a six hour field visit, Mrs Mugo stressed the need to observe basic hygiene as a measure of not contracting the highly contagious virus.
Meanwhile, results of yet another suspected case of the H1N1 influenza virus involving a Kenyan who flew into the country a week ago from India will be out later on Wednesday evening.
Kenyatta National Hospital Head of Respiratory and Infectious Diseases, Dr Anderson Irimu told Capital News that the patient checked in the hospital on Tuesday night and was put under observation until midday on Wednesday.
“However as a medical doctor I can say the case presentation (symptoms in the female patient) do not fit those of the H1N1 influenza virus,” Dr Irimu said.
He said the patient had also not been in close contact with anyone with the virus.
He however added that the hospital was not taking any chances and that’s why samples were taken to the National Influenza Centre for further tests.