TZ blasts death toll rises to 25

May 6, 2009 12:00 am

, DAR ES SALAAM, May 6 – The death toll from a series of powerful blasts at an arms depot in Tanzania last week has risen to 25, an official said Wednesday.

Some of the more than 150 people injured in last Wednesday’s explosions at a military barracks in the capital died of their wounds, Dar es Salaam regional commissioner William Lukuvi said.

"Hospitals reported deaths of the injured victims, while rescuers recovered a couple of bodies in some of the damaged buildings," Lukuvi said.

More than 4,000 people have been left homeless after the blasts caused the collapse of several buildings and ignited rockets and other weapons that showered shrapnel on bewildered residents, sometimes more than a kilometre away.

Lukuvi said authorities are struggling to provide shelter and relief food for the victims.

"We have exhausted the stocks. We expect some tents from donors including UNICEF, but more aid is still needed," he said.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed