Typo report to be tabled Wednesday

May 12, 2009 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, May 12 – The Parliamentary Joint Committee investigating the Sh9.2 billion inconsistency in the Supplementary Budget estimates has said it will table its finding on Wednesday morning.

Finance Committee Chairman Chris Okemo told the House on Tuesday that they were unable to beat the deadline due to the workload involved.

“It was a heavy task, the implications were far reaching and they were unprecedented because it has never happened before. We sat for long hours. Unfortunately we could not get the report ready in time to be tabled in the House,” he said.

He said that the committee grilled Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta, the Finance Permanent Secretary Joseph Kinyua, the budgetary staff and outsiders from finance institutions.

Mr Okemo stated that they had collected a lot of evidence which they had compiled and would be ready to table it on Wednesday morning.

Speaker of the National Assembly Kenneth Marende acknowledged the committee’s effort and allowed them to table the report on Wednesday, ahead of a discuss on it in the afternoon, citing the urgency of the matter at hand.

Once again, he had to defer the Supplementary Appropriation Bill which he said had to wait for the report by the Finance and Budget Committees.

The Speaker last week ordered the two committees to probe the ”missing” Sh9.2 billion in the Supplementary Budget.

Imenti Central MP Gitobu Imanyara raised the red flag on Tuesday and demanded that Mr Kenyatta clear the air on the discrepancies. The Finance Minister however pleaded his innocence and maintained that he did not dupe MPs into approving the funds.

Mr Kenyatta did not take in the ruling of the speaker lightly and saw it as casting aspersion on his credibility.

“The issue before this House not only brings to dispute my personal integrity but on that of the entire Treasury on a matter that we have clearly illustrated,” he said.

Still in Parliament Mutito MP Kiema Kilonzo asked the Prime Minister to issue a statement explaining how maize that was said to have been contaminated found its way into local shops.

He asked him to also say how the poisoned maize entered the country and who ordered for its offloading and circulation.

The MP said it was urgent and the Speaker requested the Public Service Minister to ask the Prime Minister to deliver the statement on Wednesday.

“The poisonous maize is already in shops, there are leaders going to the media telling the public to be careful. The PM should tell the House when, how and who gave instructions for the maize to be offloaded, was the maize destroyed and where was the Minister of Public Health since she is not aware,” Mr Kilonzo queried.


You may also like...

Latest Articles

Most Viewed