Former Kenyan MP alleges death threats

April 8, 2009 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 8 – Former Kabete legislator Paul Muite claims that his life is in danger.

Mr Muite said on Wednesday that ‘reliable information’ was leaked to him by some police officers that there were instructions to execute him.  He connected the threats to his vocal crusade against the government’s alleged role in extrajudicial killings.

 “Last Sunday, I received specific information from credible sources that members of the ‘Kwekwe squad’ (which had been accused of executions) have been given instructions to get rid of me,” he alleged.

“My conclusion is that the consistent public stand I have taken on extrajudicial executions may have something to do with it.”

Mr Muite has continually put the police on the spot over increasing cases of extrajudicial executions. He has already written to the International Criminal Court (ICC) requesting it to open investigations into the allegations. “Behind the scenes I have been urging ICC to take action. “It is possible that the intelligence agencies are aware of my efforts.” He however said that he was yet to receive a response for his request.

The former legislator was however categorical that he would not report the matter to the police. “It is an insult to my intellect to report to the police since they are the suspects in this case.”

“I have decided to say this so that if anything happens to me it will be a political assassination,” he said.

Mr Muite has however remained firm that he would continue with his stand against extrajudicial killings and will furnish the International Criminal Court evidence of the role of Police and senior government officials.

The United Nations Special Rapporteur, Prof Phillip Alston, was in the country last month and indicted the Police Commissioner and the Attorney General for failing in their respective mandate to stop the executions in which at least 600 youths have documented to have disappeared. Attorney General Amos Wako has however defended himself against these accusations and insisted that he has prosecuted all cases which have enough evidence.

Prof Alston’s full report is expected in June.

The civil society movement has been in the frontline pushing the ICC to take over investigations.

“I want to confirm that plans are at an advanced stage for the ICC to take over investigations,” rights activist Ndung’u Wainaina who was also present at Muite’s press conference said. He said that he had met with senior officials of the ICC and they were positive that they would take over the cases.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed