Govt waiting for FKL explanation

November 20, 2008 12:00 am

, NAIROBI, November 20 – The government is yet to be briefed on the formation of Football Kenya Limited.

Sports Minister Professor Helen Sambili on Wednesday said her ministry is in the dark over how the company came into being especially since she had been assured by Fifa and former KFF officials that they will extend an olive branch to their rivals.

“Those officials came to my office last week and we had a long discussion over what will be discussed at the Special General Meeting,” said Sambili on Wednesday.

“The information I’m getting about the company is from the press but we are yet to receive an official briefing from Mohamed Hatimy and his group,” she added.

Sambili who was speaking after launching the Community Sports Championship stated that football is not an elitist game and should be run by the youth who are the backbone of the game.

“We don’t want to see football in the hand of a few people especially since it has become very popular following the Harambee Stars’ performance in the World Cup qualifiers.

She added that proper consultations should have been carried out so that young people are involved.

Sambili expressed optimism that further negotiations between the government and FIFA will be carried out if Kenyan football is to continue on its upward curve.

Last week’s meeting at the FIFA Goal project in Kasarani endorsed the formation of the company despite opposition from some KFF branches who claim they were not consulted over the body’s formation.

The government recognized KFF has also challenged the company’s existence saying that they have no legal obligation to run the game because they have not been registered.

Two hundred and ten million shillings was set aside in the current financial year to run the Community Sports Championship whose theme is ‘My Game, My Country.’

“The tournament will be used to improve the game of soccer among our youth while at the same time encouraging closer fraternity and understanding among our communities,” said Sambili.

“My ministry will inject a further Sh10 million which will be used to purchase uniforms and equipment at the national level in addition to advertising and facilitating the event,” she added.

The tournament will culminate on next year’s Madaraka day when the two top provinces will contest the final.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed