Six arrested over attacks on Canadians

July 15, 2008 12:00 am

, KITALE, July 15 – Six people have been arrested in connection with an attack on two Canadians in Trans-Nzoia district recently.

Police in Kitale recovered Sh50,000 from the suspects, which is thought to be part of Sh200,000 that was stolen from the Canadians during the robbery in their home.

Kitale police boss Josephat Ndungu said the six were picked up after a two-day manhunt and that his men were still looking for more suspects.

Officers also recovered several household items that had been stolen from the Canadians, who Ndungu said are in the country to invest in various projects.

A gang raided the foreigners’ home last week, located near the farm of the former Saboti MP Davies Nakitare, seriously injuring the elderly couple in the process.

John Bergen and Louce are undergoing treatment at the Nairobi Hospital after sustaining several cuts on their heads and hands.

In another incident, the wife of a deputy executive officer at the Kitale court was killed by armed gangsters during a raid on their home at the Sibanga area of Cherangany constituency.

A gang of more than ten men invaded Stephen Omuse’s home and killed his wife, Wilkisa Nasimiyu, before stealing Sh2,700 from her.

Trans-Nzoia CID chief Joseph Kisugu said the gang also made away with three mobile telephones and a video deck.

Omuse’s wife died a few hours after she had been rushed to the Cherangany nursing home.

Police, led by Kisugu, visited the scene and said that they had launched investigations into the matter.


Latest Articles

Most Viewed