Lent is that season of penance and prayer before Easter and today (Wednesday 10th of February 2016) marks the beginning of Lent season and is also Ash Wednesday which is usually practiced by Catholics the world over.
The 40 days of Lent starts every year on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday-which will fall on March 26th- the day before Easter Sunday. During this period of lent many Christians commit to fasting or giving up certain types of luxuries as a form of penance.
The 40 days of Lent commemorate the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting in the desert.
Below are some ideas of things to give up during Lenten season.
*Social Media including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter
*Fast food, Sweets, Chips and give the money to a beggar on the street
*Red Meat or any kind of meat
*Bread, Cookies, Cake
*Give up tea or coffee or Soda
*Being mean, Swearing
*Sex and Masturbation
Other things you can try for the Lenten season:
1. Pray for others.
2. Forgive someone who does not deserve it. Forgive yourself as well.
3. Try an Electronic fast.
4. Volunteer at least an hour each week to do something charitable.
5. Invest in a Gratitude Jar and practice 40 days of gratitude.
6. List down 40 people to pray for and start a prayer rhythm.
7. Read the Bible.
8. Try a food fast for a whole day and drink only water on that day.
I know what I’m giving up. Do you?