Are there days when you feel bored, overloaded, or unappreciated? Even dragging yourself out of bed on such days requires the determination of Hercules? If you feel like this most of the time, you may be flirting with burnout. And while most of us are usually aware of being under a lot of stress, we don’t always notice when we are going through burnout.
Here are a couple of signs that you could be having a burnout.
SIGNS OF BURNOUT
- Every day is a bad day.
- Loss of motivation
- You’re exhausted all the time.
- The majority of your day is spent on tasks you find either mind-numbingly dull or overwhelming.
- You feel like nothing you do is appreciated or makes a difference.
- You get frequent headaches, back pain, muscle aches
- Change in appetite or sleep habits
CAUSES OF BURNOUT
- Lack of recognition or rewards for good work
- Unclear or overly demanding job expectations
- Doing work that’s monotonous or not challenging
- Working in a chaotic or high-pressure environment
- Refusing to delegate duties
- Working too much, without enough time for relaxing and socializing
- Taking on too many responsibilities, without enough help from others
- Not getting enough sleep
- Having a pessimistic view of yourself and the world
- The need to be in control; reluctance to delegate to others
HOW TO PREVENT BURNOUT
- Start the day with a relaxing ritual like meditating, stretching or reading something inspiring.
- Adopt healthy eating, exercising, and sleeping habits.
- Take a daily break from technology .Put away your laptop, turn off your phone, and stop checking email.
- Nourish your creative side.
- Learn how to manage stress.
(BY JANET KAY)