Jobsmentor, a startup involved in improving job search outcomes for young professionals, is looking to hire a full time, intern.
The ideal candidate should be strongly interested gaining training and mentoring skills and working with jobsmentor for up to one & a half years after the 3 months, unpaid, training period
Application deadline: 23rd February 2015 (interviewing will begin immediately and continue until the deadline.)
Educational requirements: degree or diploma in any field
The kind of skills we are interested in: counselling, advising, partner relationship building, problem solving, self learning, curriculum development and testing, interdisciplinary research, interviewing, blogging, search engine optimization and some experience with videos esp. Youtube.
- Sit in all training sessions and take lengthy notes on both the jobsmentor and the trainees.
- Devise methods to improve our training by conducting extensive research and ideation.
- Develop relationships with hiring managers and HR departments across industries.
- Forming partnerships for our advanced class, intensive internship program and managing any such internships.
- Provide job search training to our clients, especially one-on-one mentoring.
- Interviewing employers on entry-level hiring and preparing first copy blog posts.
- Will be involved in administrative work as necessary.
Length of internship: 3 months of unpaid internship followed by an assessment and then 3 months of paid internship. Final assessment at 6 months and if successful, candidate will be hired as a full employee.
Interviewing process: difficult. Will involve:
- Application (including two assignments).
- Phone interview
- A second set of assignments
- Face to face interview
- A one week, unpaid, job trial
- A final set of assignments
Terms: unpaid for first three months; paid thereafter
Other requirements: candidates must be based in Nairobi and able to arrive at the office at 7am sharp, Monday to Friday
- Access to our training program: basic + advanced classes and one-on-one mentoring (worth 25,000/-)
- Access to business books
- Access to industry leaders (both HR and hiring managers) as well as other influencers
- Rapid career acceleration (you will have greater responsibilities and opportunities to shine than you would at a larger organization)
- At least 15K per month after 3 months and a competitive starting salary at month 6
What you need to make a complete application
Kindly send the following 4 documents to [email protected]
- A one-page CV: Do not include references, objectives, summary of skills, profile and personal details except your name, your phone number and email address. Include your education history, your relevant work experience (we are particularly interested in the results you produced at each job), relevant extra curricular activity, awards, competencies and certifications
- Cover letter: No more than 300 words long. Convince us, with examples, that you are the perfect fit for this entrepreneurship internship at jobsmentor
- A powerpoint presentation (if you have never worked with ppt before, make sure you research what makes good ppts) no more than 10 slides long in which you outline why you believe you would make a good trainer at jobsmentor
- A 500-word essay on ONE of the following topics.
- How would you convince a particular company to partner with jobsmentor? (Pick a specific company e.g. Safaricom and offer 4-5 convincing arguments)
- Discuss an idea/ school of thought pertaining to the development of the whole person and how this idea can be incorporated into training at jobsmentor.
- A SWOT analysis of 3-4 of JobsMentor’s competitors within Kenya: what do they offer; how do they offer it; and how to their offerings compare to what jobsmentor is offering. What are the advantages and disadvantages of our offerings? (Please name and analyze specific competitors/ programs, not general groups of competitors e.g. churches)
Preferred candidate characteristics
- The ideal candidate is excited about imparting knowledge and skills. He/she has informally or formally identified training gaps, designed suitable training and produced significant results. He/she is naturally a teacher.
- Can you write? Your grammar, composition and argumentation skills will be under microscopic scrutiny.
- We hire for attitude and train for skills. Are you a body in the room, a ghost worker or a results-oriented individual with a high level of initiative and self motivation?
- What problems have you noticed in recent years? Which ones have you solved and how? Can we expect you to panic when plans fail or do you take charge and find quick solutions?
- Can you handle pitching very important people? Do you know how to hide your anxiety and speak clearly and convincingly in the presence of BIG people? Do you have as much grace when speaking to not-so-important people? Are you careful with your words? If we can’t trust you to represent jobsmentor, in person or via phone and email, we will not hire you.
- A high interest in learning. Are you teaching yourself new things in all sorts of fields? Are you reading a book a week and if so, are you able to apply lessons learned? Are you aware of interesting trends within different fields?
- We have some plans here at jobsmentor–very loose ones. If you need structure and constant direction, you will probably not enjoy working with us. However, if you are flexible, adaptive, a fast thinker and don’t need to be supervised constantly, send in that application.
- We don’t want latecomers or early leavers. You will definitely do much more than you are paid for and this job may follow you home more often than not. If you like shutting down at 5pm, you will be quite unhappy with us. We are looking for candidates who are as excited about jobsmentor as we are.
- Creativity is critical here. If you enjoy imagining how things could be versus how they are, we might just fall in-love with you. We want people who think differently and relevantly.
- Work is hard work. We have got to enjoy working with you and you definitely need to enjoy working with us. Do you bring positive energy into the room? Are you good company? Do you know how to laugh, how to make others feel energized and motivated?