Home > Academics > Uni students unhappy with JAB course selection; report

Uni students unhappy with JAB course selection; report

Shares

 

A majority of students in public universities are dissatisfied with how the Joints Admission Board (JAB) allocates courses, according to survey released this morning.

 

The Gallup Africa poll revealed over 90 percent of the students feel that JAB is not doing enough to ensure equality and fairness in allocation of University admission slot.In addition, 85 percent of students in public universities are not studying degrees of their choice and interests despite scoring well in high school exams.

 

The Board is charged with the allocation of courses to students admitted to public universities and who are government-sponsored. JAB comprises representation from all public universities and the Ministry of Education.

 

JAB admission criteria are based on merit and depend on the applicant’s performance in the K.C.S.E examination. JAB also has a policy on affirmative action which takes care of female candidates, candidate from pure arid areas and those candidates with various forms of challenges (disabilities)

 

The Gallup poll showed a high percentage of respondents were chosen degree course for by Joint Admissions Board (JAB) and their parents while a majority of the students (90.5%) feel that students in private universities should be given loans by the government.

 

The Gallup Africa poll – status of Higher Education in Kenya 2012 – was conducted in 15 counties across the country except in North Eastern due to insecurity issues.

 

The survey also collected views from the Higher Education Loans Board, Commission for Higher Education, the media and JAB.

 

“This year over 5000 students were asked to revise their course by JAB. The recent JAB statistics shows that only 33% of students who attained the minimum university grade will be joining public universities and their constituent colleges, the remaining 67% did not get JAB allocation,” states the Gallup report.

 

JAB, on its part, responded that intake is based on available capacity of the university.

“As for the courses, the individual (University) senate is responsible for coming up with the courses and later forwarding it to JAB for selection,” explains JAB.

 

544 students in 31 public and private universities responded to the questionnaires which largely informed the research findings.

Shares
Capital Campus
Get all the info you need about campuses and colleges in Kenya and beyond. Jobs, internships, college sports, career advice, student politics and leadership, finances and much more