For rock music fanatics, this might come as a pleasant surprise. You can now take a degree in Heavy Metal offered by Nottingham Trent University in the United Kingdom starting September.
Students of ‘Heavy Metal Music Performance’ course will learn about the history of this genre of music, different types of heavy metal as well as working in bands, performing gigs and writing songs.
The two year course will see students take a tour of heavy metal music concerts as well as learn the relationship between heavy metal, religion and philosophy, according to The Telegraph.
“The College has launched the degree to capitalize on the rock and metal music scene in the city which is home to Download festival and where Iron Maiden’s Bruce Dickinson hails from,” reports The Telegraph.
This course consists of the following:
- Focus on heavy metal music performance
- Work in bands
- Perform gigs
- Write songs
- Work on your on-stage performance
- Develop your music theory & write scores
- Gain session musician skills, such as improvision
- Develop employability skills
- Create promotional materials
- Market yourself, your gigs, your recordings etc.
- Learn about the context of heavy metal music & the music industry
Source: The Telegraph