Home > Academics > Class Experiment Goes Wrong Leaving Students In Intensive Care

Class Experiment Goes Wrong Leaving Students In Intensive Care

Shares

Northumbria University is set to be sentenced over a caffeine experiment that left students in intensive care.  Two students from the Newcastle university needed several days of hospital treatment in 2015 after a sports science experiment into the effects of caffeine went wrong.

 
The pair from the uni’s Applied Sport and Exercise Science course accidentally overdosed on the stimulant in a study designed to measure how caffeine affects athletic performance, the Press Association reported.  It was reported at the time that the students – who have not been named – consumed the caffeine in a drink.

 

The Health and Safety Executive prosecuted the institution at a hearing last month, where the uni admitted to failing to ensure student safety.  Symptoms of caffeine overdose include heart palpitations, dizziness, diarrhea, and vomiting.

 

A spokeswoman for the university told the Mirror, a British newspaper in 2015: “It is a standard test that is delivered in most UK sports departments.” Northumbria University will be sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court at a date that has not yet been publicized.

 

 

This article was first published in the Huffington Post.

Shares
Capital Campus
Get all the info you need about campuses and colleges in Kenya and beyond. Jobs, internships, college sports, career advice, student politics and leadership, finances and much more