Home » Money

Category Archives: Money

Strathmore University students win ACCA Campus Business Challenge

wiining strath

Strathmore University students Ashna Patel, Winnie Onsiero and Nishita Bakrania in a team‘Raging Achievers’ were the winners in the just concluded ACCA Business Challenge, defeating 112 other teams drawn from 19 universities. Following in position two were Esther Saya, Slade Ochieng and Billy Atela from ‘Achievers team’ also Strathmore University students. The ACCA business challenge was a three-month nation-wide competition that was organized ... Read More »

College students developing nail polish to detect date rape drugs

nail polish college team

Four students at North Carolina State University hope to tackle a problem on many campuses by developing a nail polish that can detect so-called date rape drugs by changing colors when it comes into contact with them. The four male student entrepreneurs behind the product, which they call Undercover Colors, have received mainly positive responses. They won an $11,000 prize from ... Read More »

KU holds its own ‘Shark Tank’ at Chandaria Innovation Centre

chandaria BIIC

Kenyatta University will be hosting the first investor conference at the Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre. The conference is aimed at providing a platform for incubates to showcase their products and ideas to potential investors. The centre is home to 48 incubates in various innovation categories with ICT and agribusiness incubates forming a majority of the business incubations. Chandaria-BIIC ... Read More »

Youth urged to take advantage of Sh2bn state loans

uhuru otonglo

The youth has been urged to take advantage of the more than Sh22 billion loans the government has set aside for youth, women and persons living with disabilities. A Senior Administrator in the Ministry of Devolution and Planning, Hassan Noor Hassan urged the youth in the country to refrain from indulging in drug abuse and instead engage in gainful activities ... Read More »

Students develop app to help farmers monitor soil and weather conditions

famer app

A team of university students from Kenya has developed a software program to help farmers monitor and address weather and soil conditions, as a study by the University of Nairobi reveals that intensive weather monitoring by farmers can increase yields by up to 30 per cent. Known as the Mkulima Calculator (M-Calc), the software recently won the students a US$7,000 ... Read More »

The power of thinking without thinking: Malcolm Gladwell’s ‘Blink’

malcolm gladwell

“Blink – the power of thinking without thinking” by Malcolm Gladwell is a controversial study on first impressions and how our mind subconsciously responds to them. Gladwell’s bestseller assesses the power of snap judgments through our tendency to think without thinking and the many ways in which it affects our reactions to different situations, whether we acknowledge them or not. ... Read More »

Strathmore shines the light with solar power

strathmore solar

“Kenya sits on the Equator making it a country that has the sun the whole year. But it is a paradox because you have less than 2 percent of solar power installations,” muses Professor Izael Pereira Da Silva, Director of Energy Research Centre at Strathmore University. The remaining 98 percent of solar installations, he says, are in countries which are ... Read More »

10 principles of teaching yourself anything

Self education

AUTODIDACT: adj ‘A self-taught person’. If you have ever watched the movie Good Will Hunting starring Matt Damon and Robin Williams, you can’t help admire the young man played by Damon who becomes way intelligent than the students by spending time at the library and by observation. The movie is inspiring. But there are people who have achieved raving success ... Read More »

3 lessons for startup entrepreneurs #HeshDeSilva

HeshanDe

Around the world people find it hard to talk about the problems they’ve faced. It’s much easier putting up a facade, saying ‘everything is going great’ and such rather than being open and honest to each other. Let’s get this straight – having problems does not make you weak, it makes you human. I used to be that person – ... Read More »

Teenage siblings rebuilding classic motorbike for Concours

Amy bike

15 year old Amy Wanday and her 17 year old brother Ted will be contesting the competition motorcycle class of the CBA Africa Concours d’Elegance on September 28th at the Nairobi Racecourse. Amy is preparing the 1990 Honda CR 80 which won the completion motorcycle class last year in the hands of Andre Antoine. Ted will be appearing in the ... Read More »

Scroll To Top